ResourcesBlog posts, videos, curriculum guides, technical guides, webinars, podcasts, calculators and more
This period of extreme change has revealed a need for the creative marketing of agricultural products—as necessity is the mother of invention or innovation. In thinking about ways to increase the market share for regenerative agriculture, we want to think about ways that we can connect to the end-user that not only generates revenue, but also shares the importance of the work and necessity of regenerative agriculture in our world today.
This panel will discuss innovative marketing ideas, such as community gardens connecting with restaurants to provide meals for a homeless shelter, CSAs that aggregate food from multiple farms, shifting from wholesale to retail, marketing online, value-added processing, and agritourism. Further, we hope to dive into what are the limits of current financial and economic systems to fully support both the philosophic and practical aspects of truly regenerative agriculture.
Agritourism-a commercial enterprise at a working farm, ranch, or agricultural plant conducted for the enjoyment of visitors that generates supplemental income for the owner.
- How does our current market support food, fiber and fuel that is produced in ways that support ecosystems?
- How does the current market discourage food, fiber and fuel that is produced in ways that support ecosystems?
- What needs to happen to normalize patterns of consumption that account for how food, fiber, and fuel are produced?
- Is your approach or business unique to your place and context? Could any aspect be replicable for others?
- What role does the size of the market play in how others could adapt to your model?
- How could we, or should we, adapt the model to scale up?
- How does my work connect with this?
- How could my work connect more deeply into this space?
- Are there concepts/ideologies from this plenary that I should shape my work going forward?
- Conversely, are there concepts/ideologies in the way that I currently work that need to let go of? What will it take to do so?
Organizations/Projects to Check Out:
Holistic Management International and their courses
Your local farmers market! Find one near you
Your local grocery co-op! Find one near you
Whole Farm Planning by Elizabeth Henderson and Karl North
Greener Marketing by John Grant
The New Livestock Farmer: The Business of Raising and Selling Ethical Meat by Rebecca Thistlethwaite and Jim Dunlop
Collective Courage: A History of African American Cooperative Economic Thought and Practice by Jessica Gordon Nembhard
Busting the single family farm myth and why indigenous collectives are the way to go – podcast episode featuring Chris Newman, featured on Investing in Regenerative Agriculture and Food Podcast
Beyond Dollars and Sense: Creative Investment in Regenerative Ag Panel – Regenerate 2019
Can Soil Health Equal Rancher Wealth? – Richard Teague and Peter Byck, Regenerate 2018
USDA Value Added Producer grants
Carbonplus Grasslands Credits for Regenerative Ranch Management – Regen Network video
More Conversation Guides
Conversation Guide Activating Where You Are: Community Engagement in Rural Spaces Marianna Zavala - TomKat Ranch Shalini Karra - Brown’s Ranch Ben Gotschall - Holt Creek Jerseys, Wolfe's Neck Center for Agriculture and the Environment Kate Clyatt -...
Conversation Guide Decolonization and Indigenization: A Panel with the Gather Film Team More info on the Gather film A-dae Romero-Briones - Cochiti/Kiowa, First Nations Development Institute Elsie Dubrey - Oohenunpa, Nueta, and Hidatsa,...
Conversation Guide Collaborative Land Restoration for Resilience Rodrigo Sierra-Corona - Santa Lucia Conservancy Valerie Small - Trees, Water, & People, Colorado State University Department of Agricultural Biology Aubrey Streit Krug - The Land...
Conversation GuideCommunity Resilience in Agriculture During Uncertain Times A-dae Romero-Briones - Cochiti/Kiowa, First Nations Development Institute, Gather film Zach Ducheneaux - Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe, Intertribal Agriculture Council Roberto Meza - East Denver...
Conversation GuideRegenerative Agriculture in the Face of Climate Change LaKisha Odom - Foundation for Food and AgricultureBryan VanStippen - National Indian Carbon CoalitionChris Mehus - Western Sustainability ExchangeLoren Poncia - Stemple Creek Ranch As...