Soil Health Tech Tools Watch Party: LandPKS
Wednesdays, July 8 and 22, 2020
Our first watch party of the year, focused on LandPKS, is scheduled for Wednesday, July 8. RSVP to receive a confirmation email containing information about joining us via Zoom. Below you’ll find information on the free LandPKS app and where to download it before the party.
In the two weeks following the watch party, we’ll send out tasks every few days for you to try on your own operations, and we’ll organize a listserv where you can ask questions and share ideas with other participants. On Wednesday, July 22, we’ll come back together online to discuss insights and challenges!
The LandPKS app is free to download here.
for both Android and iPhone mobile devices. The app was created to put information on climate, soils, and vegetation into the hands of ranchers, farmers, land managers, and land use planners across the globe, and to allow them to characterize these attributes of their own land. LandPKS app has three input modules: LandCover, LandManagement, and LandInfo. LandCover helps users monitor vegetation change, LandManagement is for tracking basic agri-cultural outputs and inputs, and LandInfo uses short, animated, and icon-based tutorials to help the user characterize soil properties and limitations. It connects users to cloud-based storage, global databases, and models, and it provides a system for storing and accessing user data and for sharing data, information, and knowledge.
At our watch party on July 8, you will learn to:
- Navigate the LandPKS app and utilize all of its features
- Identify and analyze soils using a combination of guided at-home soil tests (ribbon test, ball test, feeling the texture) combined with information provided by the app based on the location provided by your phone
- Observe and record information about your land including use, slope, soil texture, soil limitations, soil cover, and plant cover
- Record management practices and precipitation
- Read LandPKS reports following data input and use the information to make land-management decisions
The LandPKS app is free to download and use for both Android and iPhone mobile devices.
Before the webinar, please:
- Download the app to a smartphone (it’s not currently available for tablet or laptop). Contact us if you have questions or problems with the downloading.
- Download zoom at here. Several tutorials are available for using Zoom (here are two at YouTube and Zoom).
Email Jenna Davis at jdavis at quiviracoalition dot org with any questions